What can I do if he has a warrant for a driving violation or suspended driver’s license but he couldn’t go to court because he was already in jail? 11 Answers as of January 21, 2013

My son is in a residential burglary at the moment. He was supposed to be released back in December for work release but his caseworker told him that there is a warrant for him. He has to do his time until he gets this taken care of. Of course, he can’t do much about it being in there.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Fenaughty & Associates, PC
Fenaughty & Associates, PC | Dan Fenaughty
When there are other, untried offenses that you are charged with, you can require the government to go ahead with process, even while you are in prison. If the government will not prosecute, the charges must be dismissed. This is under the Uniform Disposition of Detainers act. Many states (including Colorado) have passed it into law.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 1/21/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
The court with the driving while suspended ticket should be made aware of where he is. Maybe they will just dismiss the charge.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/21/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Most likely, the warrant was issued to serve as a detainer. If he is released from where he is in the meantime, then he would have the opportunity for a bail review on the warrant.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 1/21/2013
Law Office of Richard Williams
Law Office of Richard Williams | Richard Williams
Notify the clerk's office where he missed court and advise them that he is in jail. There may be a hold on him but eventually he should be brought to court for disposition of the charges.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 1/21/2013
Amber Lunsford, Attorney at Law | Amber Lunsford
People who are in jail or prison regularly appear in court. Your son needs to contact his attorney and have the matter put on the court's calendar to address it. He will be transported from the jail to the courthouse on his appointed court date.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/21/2013
    Rivera Legal Group, PLLC
    Rivera Legal Group, PLLC | Victor Rivera
    His attorney should have been informed of this 2nd charge who can coordinate everything. If your son does not have an attorney, he may want to seek a court-appointed attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    Call the court and advise where he was when he failed to appear and where he is now.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
    Try calling the prosecutor and report where your son is and that he needs to address the warrant. If not happy with their response, call the court. That caseworker could help, too.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
    Write the ct to explain.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    He will have to hire an attorney, appear and deal with the other charges before he will be granted work release.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/21/2013
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot
    Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
    Your son should request the facility issue a request for him to be brought to court to clear the warrant while he is incarcerated.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 1/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: