What can I do if he had an accident that I had no knowledge of but my name and his name are tied to the registration? 1 Answers as of September 06, 2016

I used to date this guy when I was a teenager. We broke up when I was 20. During our relationship, he purchased a car from my brother, so the car should then be registered to my ex and somehow my name got involved with that registration. I haven't spoken to him in years and apparently after we broke up. He was in a car accident and now I am being sued for $5000 for a car I didn't purchase. This is deeply affected my life with renting an apartment and so forth and I am currently 29. This is the same guy who stole my ATM card and the bank showed me pictures of him removing money from my account at the ATM.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
How did your name get on title? Were you aware of this? Is there insurance? If so, let the insurance co. handle it. If not, you must file a response to any law suit, or they will get a judgment against you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/6/2016
Click to View More Answers: