What can I do if the father wants 50/50 custody of a newborn? 5 Answers as of June 21, 2011

I am pregnant by a man I briefly dated. He wants 50/50 custody with our newborn child. He thinks he should have a full week on every other week. He only lives 10 minutes away, and I will not agree to this while the child is so young when he could easily come see the child daily for several hours. What is the likelihood the court will side with him? And what can I do in the meantime?

Either you or he will file a Paternity case and seek custody and visitation orders. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you, in either event.
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren
Law Office of Patricia Van Haren | Patricia Van Haren
A court is not likely to award 50/50 custody from the time that the child is born, however the father will be likely to be awarded some type of visitation. You should contact a family law attorney in your area to protect your interests.
You have to go to court and get custody orders. Most judges will not do a 50/50 of a new born. The courts normally do a step up plan and give him a couple of hours at first and then gradually increase his time.
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
You can file a parentage action in the court. Be aware that he is a parent just as much as you are. Often, however, with newborns and babies there is more custody to the mother due to nursing etc. Be prepared though for his visitation to continue to increase as the minor gets older. The standard is "best interest of the minor."
Very unlikely. A newborn, especially one who is breastfeeding, should not be away from the mother for any significant period of time. Daily visits may be appropriate, and he shouldn't be required to stay at your place for the visits, but the visits should be for perhaps a few hours per day with return to your home at the end. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.