What can I do if a dog bite my daughter which cause her to have a trauma? 20 Answers as of October 14, 2013

I feel like the owner of the dog was negligent and might have spitefully allowed her animal to attack my 1 year old child. June 25th which was my birthday, the home owner ask to see my daughter. Not even thirty minutes later, I heard growling. I immediately ran to the living room only to see the dog in attack mode. I started kicking and trying to hit the dog, I didn't get a good look at my daughter after I saw the scratches on her back I went after the dog again out of anger. I called 911 and while doing so the home owner yelled for a towel because she said my daughter had a big cut. The homeowner had been asked by her son to keep the Rottweiler away or outside though she refuses to put him out, she assured me she would watch her dog, when she wants my daughter around. I thought at first it was an accident in until two days later after getting out the hospital. She was angry about the dog having to be put down. She started calling me saying she never liked me and she hates me. She continued the next day after I asked her why she was acting like this she said she was happy my daughter was bitten. She showed no remorse, and stated that it’s me and my children fault. My children and I was put out August 4, my daughter after I refuse to let her be around my daughter. My daughter is now scared of dogs even small ones. This has been traumatizing for my daughter. She has a long scar across her eye as well as her eye lid being pierced. She knew the dog had bitten before.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If the kid was bitten in an unprovoked attack, you sue the dog owner.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/14/2013
Ankerholz and Smith
Ankerholz and Smith | Rian F. Ankerholz
Dog bite injuries can be very serious. They create both physical and emotional trauma. In most states, it is necessary to prove a prior incident to create liability. Some exceptions apply for dog breeds that the law specifies as vicious. Consult an experienced personal injury lawyer in your area.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 8/15/2013
The Goldberg Legal Group
The Goldberg Legal Group | David Goldberg
You can sue the owner of the dog.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/14/2013
Robert A. Solomon, P.C.
Robert A. Solomon, P.C. | Robert A. Solomon
You can sue the owner of the dog for damages. In New Jersey the owner of a dog is strictly liable for bites. That means that you can't lose. If the owner of the dog has homeowners insurance you will be able to recover the cost of your daughter's medical treatment, plus money for her pain and suffering and for the permanent scar that results from the bite. Without insurance, the homeowner is still liable for the damages caused by the dog bite, but collecting the money is much more difficult.
Answer Applies to: New Jersey
Replied: 8/14/2013
Burnett Evans Banks
Burnett Evans Banks | Paul Evans
You should speak to an experienced personal injury lawyer about this. I was left a little confused by the exact set of facts, but Missouri law does not require negligence to recover in a dog bite case. Nor does it require that the dog has bitten before. The owner or possessor may be strictly liable for injuries caused by an animal.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 8/14/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Who knew that the dog has bitten someone before? You need to file a claim against the dog owner's homeowner's insurance company. This claim should cover all of your medical costs, treatment for PTSD, pain and suffering and future disfiguring.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    Your daughter has a very good personal injury claim against the dog's owner. Please call an attorney who can assist you with the claim.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Hobbs Law Group
    Hobbs Law Group | Kristin E. Hobbs
    Please contact a personal injury attorney immediately.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Douglas F. Kaleita, P.C.
    Douglas F. Kaleita, P.C. | Douglas F. Kaleita
    You should consider consulting immediately with a personal injury attorney in your state. This is not a matter that you will very likely be able to handle by yourself. Some states have very particular statutes, ordinances, and case law addressing such claims.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Immediately see an attorney and file a claim against his home owners policy.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata
    Law Offices of Stanley S. Lopata | Stan Lopata
    If you daughter was injured (treated by a medical provider) she may be entitled to compensation for her injuries from the owner of the dog or the owner of the property on which the vicious dog lived. Talk to an attorney to discuss your options.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Law Firm of Rivers J. Morrell III | Rivers J. Morrell III
    A dog owner is strictly liable for the injuries that the dog causes when it attacks, and/or bites someone. Animal control should be notified, and you should contact an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC
    Vasilaros Legal,LLC | Steven T. Vasilaros
    Florida laws impose very strict liability on dog owners for injuries caused by there dogs. You should definitely feel legal advise.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    File a claim with her homeowner's insurance company. If she won't give you the name and policy number of her insurance hire a lawyer to get it.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Padove Law | Burton A. Padove
    I suggest that you contact a lawyer who has handled dog bite cases. That breed of dog is know for having violent propensities and it was clearly inappropriate to have that dog near your daughter. Your daughter will certainly have permanent physical scars and possible emotional ones. She is entitled to compensation.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    Hopefully the dog owner had either Homeowner's Insurance or Renter's Insurance which would cover this claim. You need to meet with a lawyer to discuss this further .
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Your last sentence was the most important: "She knew the dog had bitten before". That makes it a known vicious animal and it needed to be put down, so she's got no business blaming you. Sue her. Wherever you live there are plenty of lawyers who will be happy to take this on. Find a lawyer in your area who is experienced in dog-bite cases. Do not have any further contact with this individual if you can avoid it.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    TAMBASCO & ASSOCIATES, P.C. Attorneys at Law | R. Tambasco
    If you called 9111 there should be some kind of emergency report. I suggest that you obtain as soon as possible to see what it states. Take your daughter to be examined medically to document the injury and treatment. Get your medical records together as to whether treatment and or if reconstructive surgery will be necessary. If you believe she was traumatized, take her to a child psychologist to be diagnosed. Then contact a attorney to review it all for assessment of a possible claim.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    Moore Law Firm
    Moore Law Firm | Stephen C. Moore
    You have a clear civil case for damages on behalf of your daughter against the dog owner given the bite history and breed of the dog. Consult a local attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 8/14/2013
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    You should contact an attorney to discuss the possibility of a personal injury case against the dog owner. If the owner of the dog owns a home, you may have a good case against them.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/14/2013
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney