What can I do if creditors still calling me? 9 Answers as of February 25, 2014

I am in 2 years on my chapter 7. I have been receiving calls from a debt collector in regards to an account that was included in my bankruptcy. They tell me I have 30 days to respond or they will consider this an uncontested bill and sue for payment. I have given them my attorney’s info twice now. What is my recourse? Thank you.

Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
Tell them you filed for bankruptcy and if they do not stop calling you will sue them for violation of the bankruptcy laws.
Thomas Vogele & Associates, APC | Thomas A. Vogele
If you listed the creditor on your Chapter 7 matrix and gave them notice of your bankruptcy, they should know not to call. You should firmly tell them not to call and refer the matter to your attorney.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
I would suggest you write a letter to the United States Trustee (not the bankruptcy trustee) outlining the creditor abuse and send a copy to the creditor who is harassing you. I have used this approach with my clients and it has worked well. Be sure to include a copy of the schedule showing that the creditor was listed in the bankruptcy.
Sue them for violating the bankruptcy law.
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson
Law Offices of John F. Nicholson | John F. Nicholson
If the debt is unsecured, and whether or not the creditor was listed in your bankruptcy, and if you received a discharge, the creditor cannot collect anything. The creditor needs to be on notice of this.
    Eranthe Law Firm
    Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
    Write them certified mail, return receipt requested and keep a copy for your records. Include the Notice of Discharge from your Bankruptcy case along with the list of notified creditors. I'm assuming you received a discharge and the case was closed. If that is true then the creditor is violating the law by contacting you. Most will back off with the proper information. Also if your case is closed, you should not be sending them to your past attorney as the case is now closed. Of course if you have the attorney on retainer, then refer the creditors. Keep a log of the calls, who, what, when and what they claim. See a knowledgeable local bankruptcy attorney and let them know what is going on. There are legal sanctions for continuing this bad behavior. If you only filed and never received a discharge then the creditor is probably within its rights to attempt to collect from you.
    These quite likely are schemers. A legitimate debt collection company would not do this because they can be sued. Ask for their address, if they give you one it come back to a PO Box.
    You should have your schedule F with their debt and your discharge document. Send them both and they will have to go away.
    Sue them.