What can I do if the creditors keep on calling me? 20 Answers as of March 07, 2012

I have filed for Chapter 13 but my creditors are still calling me. What should I do? What course of action can I take to make them stop harassing me?

Ipson Law Firm, PLLC
Ipson Law Firm, PLLC | Michael Ipson
Have your attorney file an order to show cause for violation of the automatic stay.
If you have filed a Bankruptcy, the law provides you with what is called an "Automatic Stay". An Automatic Stay is to stop all of your creditors from attempting collection action against you. If you are still getting contacted by your Creditors you should give them your Docket Number and tell them to stop calling. If they continue to call then you should make sure that they are listed in your Bankruptcy Petition and speak with an attorney about taking action against them for violation of the Automatic Stay.
Law Office of Asaph Abrams
Law Office of Asaph Abrams | Asaph Abrams
1. If a temporary lag in notice, give your case number; and 2. If it's more than that, notify your attorney to take appropriate measures to put a stop to it.
This one of the reasons having a lawyer (a good lawyer) is a good idea. Make sure the creditor that is calling is on your mailing matrix filed with the court. If they are you can bring a contempt action against them. You should see a lawyer about this.
Be sure your creditors were send a notice of bankruptcy to the proper address. Also, you can send a simple letter attaching the first page of your petition. If creditors persist, consult and attorney.
    Debt Relief Law Center | Roger J. Bus
    Contact your attorney, the calls should be stopped after you file. Direct all your creditors to your attorney's office, firmly inform them you filed Chapter 13 and you should no longer be contacted. If you continue to be called, after notice is given, you can consider filing a Contempt Motion against them.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Tell your attorney to show cause them for violating the court's automatic stay after answering the phone and advising them of your filing with a case number.
    Indianapolis Bankruptcy Law Office of Eric C. Lewis | Eric Lewis
    Make sure that the creditors who are calling you know of the bankruptcy and that they receive notice. If they are not listed or "treated" in the repayment plan, they are not subject to the discharge.
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Jackie Ferguson Graham
    You need to contact your attorney and provide him with the names of the creditors who are contacting you. The automatic stay prohibits such contact.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Send a cease and desist letter with a copy of the notice of bk and tell them in the letter that if they don't stop you'll seek sanctions from the court by motion.
    The Law Offices of Deborah Ann Stencel | Deborah A. Stencel
    You should give your creditors your bankruptcy case number. Usually, proof of filing will make them stop calling. Then, take the name and return number of the person you are speaking with. Keep a log of these calls. If the calls from the same creditors persist, you can ask your attorney to file a motion in the bankruptcy court to punish the creditors for violation of the automatic stay (the bankruptcy injunction which is meant to keep your creditors from bothering you).
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C.
    Kenneth A. Parker, P.C. | Ken Parker
    When you filed a Chapter 13, an Automatic Stay went into effect. The Automatic Stay acts as an injunction to prevent your creditors from calling you or collecting on a debt listed in the bankruptcy. Give them your case number and your attorneys phone number. After that, hang up on them.
    Steven Harrell, Attorney at Law | Waymon Steven Harrell
    You need to bring this to the attention of your attorney and contempt sanctions can be sought against the creditors in the bankruptcy court.
    If you have filed the bankruptcy already, you need to forward them proof of your case filing and send them written notice that stop calling you.
    J.M. Cook, P.A. | J.M. Cook
    Tell your atty. They will file a motion for sanctions.
    Law offices of John P. Brooke | John Brooke
    Once you file for bankruptcy the creditors cannot take any legal action to collect the debt against you as long as they are listed as creditors. Did you tell them that you filed for bankruptcy? If not, then you would need to inform them of this fact. They should have also gotten notice from the court.
    They are violating the automatic stay, you can send a letter to warn them and then have your attorney file lawsuit against them after that.