What can I do if a creditor keeps calling me daily after Chapter 13 Bankruptcy was filed? 17 Answers as of November 03, 2014

I filed chapter 13 bankruptcy, already went to hearing and no creditors showed up, and already have the order and making monthly payments (About to make 3rd now). Aarons Rents, the furniture rent to own place, calls me daily!!! I tell them to stop, they say ok, they call the next morning no matter what. I’m tired of it, I’m ready to do something about it. Who in Oklahoma do I see about filing suit against them?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
First, did you list Aarons Rents as a creditor in your bankruptcy? Or if not, when did you tell them about your bankruptcy. Second, do you know the names of the people who called you and the dates of the calls? If Aarons knows about the bankruptcy and you have some record of dates and people who called. Then you should file a motion for punitive damages in the bankruptcy court. Do this through an attorney, even if you didn't use an attorney for the bankruptcy because Aarons has to pay you attorney fees. If you didn't keep any records, then you chance of winning in the bankruptcy court when your testimony is "I don't remember exactly when they called me or who called but they did it a lot" probably isn't a winner.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 11/3/2014
Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
Be sure to let your attorney know. The attorney can send them a letter to cease contact with you. If they do not comply, a Motion for Sanctions can be filed against the creditor.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 11/3/2014
Rhymer Law Firm
Rhymer Law Firm | William Rhymer
I would suggest you contact your attorney. He or she should handle it for you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 11/3/2014
Freeman Law Group, LLC
Freeman Law Group, LLC | Derek Freeman
Aaron Rents is in violation of the automatic stay. If you are represented, have your lawyer contact Aaron Rents and demand that they stop contacting you, or face contempt of court. If you don't have a lawyer, send them a copy of the creditors' meeting notice. It includes a statement about the automatic stay and penalties for violating it. Tell them that if they contact you again you will take them to court. And if they contact you again, follow through with the threat.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 11/3/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
If they were given proper notice in your bankruptcy then it is an automatic stay violation. You can file a suit in your bankruptcy to stop it.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 11/3/2014
    Tokarska Law Center
    Tokarska Law Center | Kathryn U. Tokarska
    This is posted in California and I'm licensed to practice only in California. I recommend calling a local Bankruptcy attorney and discussing the situation. There are some questions that the bankruptcy attorney will need to ask you. Did you list the creditor on your petition schedules? Was the creditor served with the "Bankruptcy Notice" at a proper address? Do you have in your possession rental furniture or did you return the items? Generally speaking, if a creditor was listed, noticed properly, and the rental furnishings have been returned there are two ways to go. The easiest and the first thing you may want to try is to send the creditor a "cease and desist" letter, include a copy of the bankruptcy notice. I've had to do this a few times and typically even a fax to the creditor of the Bankruptcy Notice after I talk with corrects the problem. If it's clear to me that the person I'm talking to has no knowledge of Bankruptcy I may ask to speak to someone in their legal department. Sending a cease in desist in writing is important because telephone conversations are difficult to prove and in the next step you want to provide the court with evidence that the creditor knew about the bankruptcy and despite this knowledge continued to attempt collections thereby violating bankruptcy automatic stay. If after they received a written notice they continue to attempt collections the next step is to get an order for sanctions against them. This is achieved by getting a hearing scheduled at the Bankruptcy Court. You will need to file with the court a motion for sanctions, you must serve the notice of the motion and the motion itself on the creditor. I do not recommend doing this yourself particularly since if the Court rules in your favor the creditor would be ordered to pay you damages, which conveniently includes costs incurred (like legal fees) because of their acts.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/30/2014
    Barnhart Law Office
    Barnhart Law Office | Bruce C Barnhart
    You need to keep a record of every phone call from the creditor and immediately contact your attorney for advise.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 10/30/2014
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    File a motion to hold them in contempt.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/30/2014
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Get a good lawyer now. Write down the date and time of each call. Write down what you tell them each time.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 10/30/2014
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    That?s what you hired your bankruptcy attorney to do ? your attorney can file a motion for sanctions against the creditor for violation of the automatic stay. The fact that you had to ask indicates that you probably are not represented by an attorney, which gives the creditor the right to call you about its claim in the same way it would be calling your attorney if you were represented.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 10/30/2014
    Michael J. Duggar, P.A.
    Michael J. Duggar, P.A. | Michael J. Duggar
    You should log every call. Did you list in your Chapter 13 the creditor and did you list in your Schedules your intention to assume the lease in your Schedules? I've had clients log the calls post-filing and file a Motion in your Bankruptcy Court. Judges have assessed damages in the range of $250 per violation to $750 per violation, depending on the nature of the violation.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 10/30/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney