What can I do if a contractor is demanding more money for unfinished work? Posted on July 20, 2011

I needed some home improvements and hired a contractor. The contractor gave me a verbal estimate. The contractor came out and started the work but did not bring the written estimate with him. I asked for the estimate several times on various days to no avail. The contractor continually asked for more of a "draw" on the funds. I accommodated. Several weeks and four draws later the contractor stated that he would not be able to complete the job to my satisfaction because the estimate was off by about $5000. At that point I terminated the contractor and had him leave the jobsite. Now, almost three months later, the contractor has sent me a letter demanding more money. We have not written contract. Should I respond to this letter? or just ignore it?