What can I do if the contents part of claim is not paid? 1 Answers as of July 20, 2011

My house burned on Jan 14. The structure part of the claim was paid quickly, but the contents part of my claim has not been going well. I hired a public adjuster and they dont seem to be making any progress either. They rejected the proof of loss that my public adjuster did for me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry
Law Office of Ronald Arthur Lowry | Ronald Arthur Lowry
Contents is the part of a fire loss claim where the insurer can and often does get very prickly. Hire an attorney who has experience in insurance matters, particularly fire loss claims, immediately. The public adjuster is not going to do you much good as he/she cannot sue the insurer but still may be valuable as an expert witness. Leave that to the lawyer to decide. it would be very helpful if you had pictures of the contents of your home before the fire. Otherwise you will have to reconstruct what you lost by the skeletal remains or photographs of the damaged goods. If you have replacement coverage that would make it easier for you. If not, you will be stuck with a depreciated value which is where the insurer can really play games with you.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 7/20/2011
Click to View More Answers: