What can I do if a company scrape my car, came up with a bogus cost and wants to deduct from the car value? 11 Answers as of April 01, 2013

Monroe Muffler was doing work on my car and they had fired their manager for drinking on the job and replaced him with a guy from Newark and he scraped my Lexus Gs 430... Monroe hardly took responsibility for it and made up a bogus repair cost of 3200 and deducted that from the value and that’s what I was paid... What can I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
If you can prove that they caused the damage, then sue them.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 4/1/2013
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You can get an independent valuation of the cost of repair. Then fight them in court.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/25/2013
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
What was the cost to repair the damage? Get an estimate for the repair work, that should be the measure of damages not a total loss valuation.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 3/25/2013
Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
Did you sign off on that? Did an insurance company retain Munroe Muffler to assess the damage? Where is the car? Research Monroe Muffler on the internet. Get all contracts from everyone involved. If the car is somehow available have another place assess the damage. If you get nowhere with Monroe Muffler write all details to the President of Monroe Muffler. (certified letter).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2013
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
This is not my area of expertise. You should consult a civil attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/22/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    I don't understand the part of "deducted that from the value". If the damage to your car costs $3200 to repair, that's what they should pay you. Take them to small claims court.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/22/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    If you are in SC, you can go to the Clerk of Court and for the county where this happened and seek arbitration for the damage. You could also file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Timothy J. Thill P.C.
    Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
    This is not a question for this forum. You should be directing your question to a civil attorney for possible suit for money in civil court.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
    Do not cash the check, get your own estimates and take them to small claims.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Sue for the difference, presumably in small claims court. Be ready to prove, with witnesses and perhaps with photographs, what the condition of the car was immediately before you brought it to Monroe.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    Sue them in small claims court. They will have to hire a lawyer and that will cost them a lot more than paying you what they owe you.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 3/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: