What can I do if a company has not paid me wages as an appraiser? Posted on June 08, 2011

I performed residential fee appraisals in VA for an appraisal management company based in MD. They have not paid me for 3 months and they owe me for work done in Nov. and Dec. of 2010 plus work performed through April 2011. They promised to pay me, however when I call they say they don't know when they can. Will I need to go to court in MD or VA to seek judgement? Can I place a lien on any of their business property or software, etc.? I really need the money and have been more than patient. They may pay me but I think it will be into next year (2012) before I get all of the money owed to me. Legislation was changed last year in VA limiting appraisers to filing in civil court. The appraisal management company works for a local credit union. Should I contact the credit union to inform them the AMC has not been paying appraisers? I do not care to continue doing business with the AMC however I do not know if I can legally contact the credit union. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.