What can I do if the bank did not honor my discharge? 9 Answers as of June 13, 2017

My Chapter 7 bankruptcy was discharged in 11/03/2010. I have discovered that my credit card did not honor the discharge and bank has locked my bank account with a notice I owe $10,000. My attorney told me to inform him if I should ever experience issues with the creditors that were listed on my discharge. I am in need of assistance to have my bank account unlocked.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Your attorney should contact the bank about their violation of the discharge injunction.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 6/13/2017
GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
There is not enough information here to properly advise you. Any attorney worth their salt will charge you for one or two hours of their time to guide you.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 6/13/2017
Eranthe Law Firm
Eranthe Law Firm | Cate Eranthe
Contact your attorney. They can send a letter or you can send a letter. Include the discharge order and certificate of service. Also you shouldn't be banking at the same bank you owed money to. Don't bank where you owe money or at Wells Fargo if you are going to file bankruptcy or are having financial difficulties.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/10/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
Something is really off. You need to see a lawyer ASAP.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/10/2017
Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
Well, it certainly seems that you should notify your attorney in accordance with his suggestion. The remedy she will likely suggest will be to check the schedules and mailing matrix which our filed years ago to be certain you listed them (or the business from which they bought the account). Once you ascertain that they were listed, your lawyer will probably want to file a motion to have these people held in contempt.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/10/2017
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    Unfortunately, it means that you should hire an attorney who really cares and lives up to his word to handle the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/10/2017
    Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
    Contact your bankruptcy attorney or contact the attorney who has locked your account and advise them of your discharge. IF they do not release the lock on your account you will have to file a motion with the court.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/10/2017
    A Fresh Start
    A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
    Yeah, I am guessing your bank has a provision called cross collateralization or set off that gave them a security interest in your deposit accounts for the credit card debt. So I would say to inform your attorney as he certainly should have informed you of this risk and had you close out this bank account before you filed bankruptcy.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 6/8/2017
    Scott Goldstein | Scott Goldstein
    Call the lawyer that helped you then.
    Answer Applies to: New Jersey
    Replied: 6/8/2017
Click to View More Answers: