What can I do if the lawyer didn't show up for traffic court case and hasn't refunded me my money? 19 Answers as of April 01, 2013

I hired a lawyer for $300 to help me with a traffic ticket. I showed up to court and called her to let her know I was there. She said she forgot about it and I should try to reschedule the court case. Instead of doing that, I just fought the ticket myself and got what I wanted out of it. I called her after court and she told me she would refund me my money. A couple weeks later after not receiving the refund I called her and asked her about it. She acted surprised that she didn't refund me and told me that she was writing the check right then and putting in the mail that day. Another couple weeks go by... basically same thing. Now she just tells me she will check on it and will call me back. It's been 5 months since the court date. What can/should I do?

Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
File a fee dispute with the Nevada State Bar Association.
Law Office of Christian Menard
Law Office of Christian Menard | Christian Menard
Call the State Bar and file a complaint against the attorney for failing to return your money. It may refer you to the local bar association where you are entitled to resolve the fee dispute by either binding or non-binding arbitration.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
You should have hired a better lawyer. Write her a letter indicating that unless you get your money back in a week you will write to the Bar Association.
Tell her that if she does not refund your money, you will file a grievance against her. No lawyer wants to be grieved over $300.
Contact the attorney grievance commission.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
    Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
    If what you say is true, then you need to contact the bar association and file a formal complaint against the attorney. That should get your money back in short order, and very well may result in sanctions being imposed against the attorney by the bar association.
    File a State Bar complaint.
    Contact the local grievance committee in your area. That will wake her up real fast.
    1. Sue her in Small Claims Court. 2. Report her to the State Bar.
    REPORT the matter to the local or state fee committee or to the grievance committee of the bar.
    Tell the lawyer you will go by the office and pick up your check. If it isn't there waiting for you when you go by the office, go then to the closest office of the Florida Bar and lodge a formal complaint against this lawyer.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should get another lawyer and file a grievance against the first if he has caused problems for you and wont return your money.
    Natty Shafer Law
    Natty Shafer Law | Nathaniel Shafer
    I would report her to the state bar association. Lawyers have ethics they must follow and she is not following them.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    You could bring her to small claims court and sue her for the refund. In the county you reside go to the small claims court window and take out a claim. This method is simple and the court will be responsive to your complaint. Once the attorney receives said summons you will probably be able to resolve same.
    Abrams Landau, Ltd.
    Abrams Landau, Ltd. | Douglas Landau
    If you paid for a service that you never received, and have tried to work it out, your next course of action may be to contact the Virginia State Bar ("VSB"). The VSB even has a fund to pay for situations where lawyers took off with other people's money ! I and other members in good standing pay into this Fund precisely to protect the public from getting ripped off by lawyers who may be having problems with alcohol, depression, drugs and/or disbarment. Retaining an experienced and licensed Virginia personal injury lawyer who actually tries these cases on a regular basis and who has a real office in the Commonwealth would help you to protect your interests. Do they have a real office with live (not virtual) staff Check to see if they are ACTIVE, teaching & contributing members of the Virginia Trial Lawyers, DC Trial Lawyers and American Association for Justice (formerly the Association of Trial Lawyers of America). Many lawyers advertise that they handle cases in court, but I have learned that so many do not actually try cases in court, cut quick deals and are in fact scared to go to court. The best way to determine the best lawyer for your case is to see your present (or future) lawyer in action actually trying a case in court. Pick a professional not a pretender.
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Report her to the State Bar Associations ethics board. You will file a complaint.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    I would file a grievance with the lawyers disciplinary committee about this.