What can I do if an employee of a gaming store stole my things for himself, or to sell at the store? 4 Answers as of April 25, 2014

I live in California and I went to trade my PS3 in for a different console, and when doing this gaming store employees have to plug in your equipment to make it work. At the end of this I decided that their offer was not worth trading in my system. When I went home I unpacked my system to plug it back in and realized they still had my power cable, and AV cables. When I called they said that they cannot find them and that I should come in tomorrow morning so they can "help me out". I feel like I am being scammed and now I have no form of entertainment for my family, as we watch online instead of cable. What can I do?

B. Casey Yim | B. Casey Yim
Go back and see what they will do. Much more cost effective than costly lawsuit which will cost you 1000 times more than the cables are worth.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You can sue in small claims court up to $7,500. I'm guessing the cables are worth less than $50.
Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
Go to the store and pick up your power cable and AV cables. Ask the person who helped you before. Maybe he put them in a special drawer to keep them safe. Stores have many employees and things get mixed up. If they cannot find your cables, ask if they can replace them. Go to the store so they can help you out, just as they told you to do.
Law Office of Jared C. Winter
Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
So am I correct that your legal question is about your missing power cable? I'm afraid the legal system is not going to solve this problem. How much are those to replace? $20? $30 tops? Probably around $5 for an aftermarket one on eBay or Amazon? Work it out with the store or bite the bullet and buy a new one. I don't think you're dealing with a scam. What would the store possibly gain by keeping a power cable? Not much, if anything. People make mistakes.