What can I do I pay my child support on time, and my wife wants more? 10 Answers as of January 15, 2014

Can she get more support? She lives in a house that I pay for also and doesn't pay rent. I pay $520 a month for 4 children plus I gave her housing. If she gets more support, I will not be able to pay the mortgage at the house she is living in with my children. I will keep paying on the house of course and lose my residents before my kids loose the other house.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
John Russo | John Russo
Why don't you try retaining a good family law attorney, obviously this is costing you already, as a sidebar 520 a month for , four children is a home run for you, that would be an average weekly support order for that many children.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/15/2014
The Law Office of James P Peterson
The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
Assuming you have no other children then the amount of support that you pay should be 35% of your "net resources" (take home pay or a little more). If the value of the rental property and the 520 is less than 35%, then it is conceivable that she could get an increase.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/15/2014
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
Are you ordered to pay for her home? You really should visit with an attorney about how to address this issue, as there are many factors involved, such as whether this was a divorce and what the decree says, how long ago support was ordered, the children's needs, wife's employment, your earnings and budget, and whether there is anything currently filed as a legal action. An attorney can get more specific facts from you under confidentiality and advise you as to your options. Best wishes!
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 1/15/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You need to evaluate child support with the assistance of the support calculator software program and an experienced family law attorney who can interpret the information.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/14/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You need to file for divorce and get an order stating exactly what you have to pay. It may be that you will have to pay the same as you are now, or it could be substantially less, particularly once the property is divided evenly.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/13/2014
    Robert J. Sayfie, P.C.
    Robert J. Sayfie, P.C. | Robert J. Sayfie
    There are guidelines that each County follows, unless there is reason to deviate from that. She can ask for more, you can ask to have the court reduce payments also. So it works both ways.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 1/13/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    I would explain to her if she asks for more support, you will no longer be able to pay for her residential expenses. I wouldn't know if she could get more support, for sure, without reviewing each of your income numbers.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/13/2014
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    She would have to file for a modification of support and have it determined that you can pay more.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/13/2014
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Has she petitioned in court for more support? If not don't worry. Child support is set on a system of about 17% of your income, your attorney can help you figure out if there will be a problem.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/13/2014
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    Do you have a child support order? That's the amount you must pay. If the mother wants more, she has to file a modification or adjustment of child support and show that she and or you earn more money than at the time the last order was entered. If this is an informal arrangement, then go to court and get this done properly. Your child support can include the amount you pay on the mortgage if the kids are living in the house.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 1/13/2014
Click to View More Answers: