What can I do for petty theft under $100? 1 Answers as of May 09, 2011

I have been charged with petty theft under 100 dollars. I am 41 yrs old. I was in no way trying to steal anything. I have never been in trouble with the law. I am disabled and financially poor. I am applying for government assistance currently. This happened in Jacksonville Fl. Does the judge take these items into account when assigning fees and punishment(jail time.) Should I seek an attorney? I read online that this would be a second degree misdeamenor.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bruce H. Lehr, P.A.
Bruce H. Lehr, P.A. | Bruce H. Lehr
If you are innocent then rake the case to trial. There is also a pretrial diversion program which if successfully completed leads to the dropping of the charge.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/9/2011
Click to View More Answers: