What can I do for my boyfriend who has drug charges and is on probation? 2 Answers as of August 15, 2011

He was charged with controlled substance and also dangerous drug charges and is on probation. I am looking for an attorney who is not affiliated with the probation department. I am looking for an attorney who is willing to take this case by allowing me to make payments. I get paid every 2 weeks therefore I would like to set up a payment agreement. This is for my boyfriend of 9 years who is in jail at this time.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
Where are the charges pending? The first thing you need to do is narrow your search to attorneys that routinely practice in the jurisdiction where the charges are pending. By way of explanation, I handle criminal cases only in Collin County (McKinney, Texas). I know all the judges here, all the prosecutors, and I am in that courthouse 3 or 4 days each week. I know how fast a case can or will move and I do not charge for travel time to that courthouse since I invariably have to be there any way. On the other hand, I have a case in Fort Worth, the only case I have there and the client pays for travel time, he pays for my parking in Ft. Worth, etc. He agrees to these charges because he wanted my firm and in particular me to handle the case - I have handled matters for this client's family in the past. The problem is, when I go to Tarrant County (Ft. Worth) I have nothing to do except that one case. If we are told to wait, I have to wait. In Collin County, if I am told to wait, I can handle some other matters, even if they are just administrative or catching up on local politics, checking in with another attorney who is on the other side of a divorce, etc. Accordingly, I charge less for local cases, I know the politics of local cases, and I am less concerned about the payment schedule.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/15/2011
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer
Cynthia Henley, Lawyer | Cynthia Henley
Research for a lawyer by checking AVVO.com for the county in which he is charged. You can also google criminal defense lawyer and the county. Be aware that websites are not written by the lawyers but by website companies so don't be overly impressed by the fact that the lawyer spent a lot of money on the website. What is more important is what clients think of the lawyer (which you can find on AVVO - lawyers cannot control what clients post there but they do control what is on their own website) and how you feel when you talk with the lawyer. Does the lawyer take the time to talk to you? Does the lawyer seem knowledgeable? etc.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/14/2011
Click to View More Answers: