What can I do after using a lost credit card 15 hours ago in California? 8 Answers as of March 11, 2011

Yesterday I found lost credit card, instead of turning it in to lost and found, I got greedy and in a moment of weakness used it to buy 450 dollars in clothes at a retail store where I work. I feel horrible about what I did and realize I am in trouble. What should my 1st actions be? I really want to return the gear and I realize that will not fix much but I still feel it will help. I am 22 years old scared sorry and concerned.

Whatever you do, you might lose the job. How you do things will probably have a major effect on what legal consequences you may suffer. Returning the merchandise is a good start. The credit card account can then be credited. The card also needs to be returned to its rightful owner. While you might sneak the merchandise back into the store and execute the credits and then put the credit card in a plain unmarked envelope, etc., I hesitate to recommend such an act. You are necessarily using the mails and telephone lines. There are potential federal violations. Though you might lose the job, your best approach might be to take the clothes and card and see your supervisor, explain what you did along with your regrets and failure to understand your actions. Should any criminal action be undertaken, your actions would go a long way to ease any criminal sanctions.
Where you work? That was pretty foolish, in addition to being a crime. If you can make this right with the card owner by contacting them, maybe through the credit card company, and repaying them, it might result in no criminal charges being filed. You likely will be fired or should resign though. If you are arrested, or if you want legal help in trying to fix this before that happens, feel free to contact me.
Contact the owner of the card and explain what happened. Give the card back and make arraignments to return the items or reimburse the money. Do not wait to be arrested.
Do not talk to anyone about this. At this point there is really no way to unring the bell. It would be best for you to discuss the matter with a criminal lawyer as your question cannot be easily answered.
First return the clothes but before you do call the credit card company asking if they will delete the charges from this guy's bill. If the store will not take them back for the amount you paid for them then eat the difference. If the credit card company refuses to charge back the billing, keep the clothes, contact this guy, tell him what you did and pay him the $450.00. And please learn something from this experience.