What can I do after losing my drivers license? 2 Answers as of April 25, 2011

I lost my license due to unpaid fines and fees. It is way more than I can afford now with interest and such. I have tried to enter a payment plan with the collection agency but they wouldn't let me because I have no verifiable source of income. Is there anything I can do? I need to drive I have a special needs son who has weekly appointments and it's getting harder and harder to get him where he needs to go.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andersen Law PLLC
Andersen Law PLLC | Craig Andersen
Unless you have a steady source of income, you may qualify for a Chapter 13 bankruptcy. I have heard of people getting their licenses that way but I'm no expert on bankruptcy law. Other than that, you can't get your license reinstated without paying your fines.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/25/2011
Law Office of Andrew Subin
Law Office of Andrew Subin | Andrew Subin
Unfortunately, you will most likely have to deal with the collection agency in one way or another. I am not sure how much you owe them, but they may be willing to settle for less than the total amount if you offer them a big lump sum. Can you borrow some money from somewhere else and make the collection company an offer? Even if its not the total amount owed, this might be worth a try, if possible. You can sometimes ask a court to take a case back from collections, if it has not been too long since the case was sent to collections. The court could put you on a payment plan for the outstanding balance. If you have to drive without a license, try not to get pulled over: drive the speed limit, buckle your seatbelt, use your turn signal, stay off the cell phone. I hope this is somewhat helpful. Please feel free to call if you have any other questions.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/21/2011
Click to View More Answers: