What can I do after being accused fo shoplifting? 1 Answers as of January 10, 2011

I was accused of shoplifting and I was detained by the 2 young employee that inform me that 2 people witnessed me putting something in my pocket, this was after I asked why do I need to wait for the policeman to arrived. First it was 1 person, then the younger employee that walk up second after the first employee stop me. I was angry, and then as we wait I start talking to them and the second employee stated that it was 2 people that observed me and 1 was an employee, and that the owner is a relative of his or the person that saw me. I was very angry at that time, he accused me. So I waited when the police came I volunteered and showed him the receipt for a crystal angel that I purchased from the central drugs next door before entering the grocery store and showed the police my receipt for chicken spinach dip and bread and a separate receipt for the crystal angel.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
A theft offense can be very serious. While any theft under $500 is a misdemeanor. Such an offense is still punishable by up to 90 days in jail and a $1000 fine. The collateral consequences of a conviction can also be extremely significant and preclude a person from finding employment where background checks are performed.

Often, if you have no prior offenses, a conviction can be avoided with a Stay of Prosecution. A Stay of Prosecution means that the offense is never recorded on your record and stayed for a certain period of time to ensure that you do not have another offense.

We can assist you in making sure that your record is not affected.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 1/10/2011
Click to View More Answers: