What can I do about renting an item of mine that never came back that supposedly got stolen and I have a contract? 6 Answers as of February 27, 2014

The rental agreement was for 5 days at 250 dollars as soon as he returned it. It's now been almost 6 months. He says it was stolen with all his things inside. He has made no effort to address the problem much less remedy it.

Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
How is this a landlord tenant Q? Please explain yourself in more detail. "an item" does not sound like an apartment or house. Is there a police report? Insurance?
You should have sued him within 30 days of not having it returned. Sue him now.
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
If you can't work out a replacement cost/payment. You can go to small claims court to recover up to $10,000.00. If the value is higher you would need to decide whether or not to go to regular court, costs are much higher and either way you may only get a judgment with no way to collect. Do either of you have insurance to cover the loss?
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
You can sue the renter for the value of the item that wasn't returned. If it was stolen while in his possession, chances are that he'll be held to be responsible for its safekeeping while in his possession.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
Sue him in small claims court where you don't have to have an attorney representing you.