What can I do about renting an item of mine that never came back that supposedly got stolen and I have a contract? 6 Answers as of February 27, 2014

The rental agreement was for 5 days at 250 dollars as soon as he returned it. It's now been almost 6 months. He says it was stolen with all his things inside. He has made no effort to address the problem much less remedy it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Stuart P Gelberg
Stuart P Gelberg | Stuart P Gelberg
How is this a landlord tenant Q? Please explain yourself in more detail. "an item" does not sound like an apartment or house. Is there a police report? Insurance?
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/27/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You should have sued him within 30 days of not having it returned. Sue him now.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 2/26/2014
Law Office of Jeffrey T. Reed | Jeffrey T. Reed
If you can't work out a replacement cost/payment. You can go to small claims court to recover up to $10,000.00. If the value is higher you would need to decide whether or not to go to regular court, costs are much higher and either way you may only get a judgment with no way to collect. Do either of you have insurance to cover the loss?
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/26/2014
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C.
The Bryan Law Firm, L.L.C. | Douglas L. Bryan
You can sue the renter for the value of the item that wasn't returned. If it was stolen while in his possession, chances are that he'll be held to be responsible for its safekeeping while in his possession.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 2/26/2014
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S.
Wayne J. Wimer, Inc. P.S. | Wayne J. Wimer
Sue him in small claims court where you don't have to have an attorney representing you.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/26/2014
Click to View More Answers: