What can I do about a police officer questioning my 15 year old daughter after I told him no? 2 Answers as of October 16, 2015

I said no to him questioning her. He said he had to advise her of her right but didn't. Then asked her another question.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law | John Hugger
Were any charges filed? Did you get his name, badge number or business card? Speak with an attorney ASAP!
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/16/2015
Miller & Harrison, LLC
Miller & Harrison, LLC | David Harrison
In Colorado a child cannot be questioned unless a parent waives the Miranda rights. The statement taken in violation of that cannot be used in court against your daughter. You MIGHT even be able to sue the officer and his department ? and recover money for the violation of her rights, but it may not result in a big amount of money ? consult a civil rights lawyer in your area. Also, there are pretty short time limits to file notices of claim and such so make sure you do not put it off. In addition you could make a complaint with the Internal Affairs division of the Officer?s department.
Answer Applies to: Colorado
Replied: 10/15/2015
Click to View More Answers: