What can I do about the non-payment of child support? 15 Answers as of December 24, 2012

My ex-husband and I were recently divorced as of August of this year. It was court ordered for him to pay child support, although he only paid two payments in October, then quit his job. He is working, but I don't know where. He failed to give child support his new work information. We unfortunately married once before but the marriage was annulled. He was court ordered to pay child support then, but never paid a dime. That was in 2003 that that was supposed to start. He has not paid a payment since October and I cannot afford to take him back to court. Child support says that if I get wind of where he's working to let them know. What can I do about this?

You really need to return to court to get the help of the judge to enforce your order.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Just talk to Friend of Court and they can do a complaint.
Harper Law Offices
Harper Law Offices | Charles W. Harper
You should visit with a family law atty in the State of County where the child support was ordered.
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook
The Law Office of Cathy R. Cook | Cathy R. Cook
CSEA can file contempt against him. Ask them to do so.
The Legal Center | Richard Manwaring
When you say child support says, I am assuming that you are speaking about child support services. If he is working child support services will find about it at some point. They utilize a data base system with the IRS that requires the IRS to compare social security numbers of those who owe child support to those who have tax withholding reported by employers. As for taking him back to court, if you are using the department of child support services, you can file a Request for Order through that court without any fees.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A.
    Steven Kalishman, P.A. | Steven J Kalishman
    The Department of Revenue can help you.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    You can file a motion to show cause as to why he is not paying. The judge may sanction him or grant other relief Talk to an attorney about this issue and discuss your options further.
    Get wind of where he is working and tell Health and Welfare. Call the Idaho Volunteer Lawyers Program and see if you qualify. If you do, you may get a lawyer to file a motion for contempt against your husband.
    You only choices are to use the services of the Child Support Enforcement agency or hire an attorney to try to pursue remedies of contempt. You need to accept the reality that if you don't know where he is and where he is working it is not really possible to do anything.
    If you cannot afford to go back to court, this will be very hard. The court assistance center should help you for free. The bottom line is that this is a collection issue. He is ordered to pay but he is not. So, you might want to file a contempt against him for failure to pay or as that child support bring him in for a job seek order.
    Ahluwalia Law P.C.
    Ahluwalia Law P.C. | Madan Ahluwalia
    Contact Department of Child Support and Services. California's Child Support Services Program works with parents - custodial and noncustodial - and guardians to ensure children and families receive court-ordered financial and medical support. Child support services are available to the general public through a network of 52 county and regional child support agencies (LCSAs). They will enforce it for you. You don't need to hire an attorney. Here is their home page-http://www.childsup.ca.gov/Home.aspx This is where you can find local office-http://www.childsup.ca.gov/Home/LCSAOffices.aspx Good luck!!
    Zales Law Office
    Zales Law Office | Nicholas C Zales
    If you take him back to court for contempt you should be able to obtain your attorney's fees in addition to the back child support.
    Sadly, you hold the keys to your own present, and if you do not take him back to court it is almost impossible to enforce his obligation. I would suggest that you bring a motion to show cause why he should not be held in contempt for not meeting his obligations and providing the information regarding his alleged employment. You should also include in your prayer for relief that he has to pay your costs and attorneys fees. If you do not do so, you'll be encouraging is delinquent behavior.
    WARM SPRINGS LAW GROUP | Elliott D. Yug
    In Nevada contact the District Attorney's office and ask them to enforce the order.
    Richard D. Zasada, LLC | Richard D. Zasada
    File a Motion for Contempt.