What can I do about my warrant in another state? 5 Answers as of June 12, 2012

I have a warrant in Colorado Springs, but I'm in California. I have a warrant for stabbing my husband do to him standing over me while I was sleep, and the next day I was packing up so I can leave back to california, and he came after me with anger- then I stabbed him. I'm trying to clear up this warrant so I can go on with my life, and I don't have much money togo to CO to turn myself in. So I wanted to know if I can turn myself in CA? How long will I be held for? If CO don't come get me will the case be dropped? Will I have any fees to pay? Then my husband said he was going to file for a divorce I have the letter with him saying it, and since he get extra money for me while he is in the military and I haven't been there since 5 months am I able to have a judge have him pay for the divorce? he haven't sent me any of my clothes that I have at his house, my furniture, my iphone 4s, my birth certificate he haven't sent me anything back to me at all how can I get my items I came into this marriage with back?

Yeah my ex-wife took all of my things when we divorced. I would contact the public defender in the town where this took place. The problem with surrendering in CA is that they will hold you for weeks while they try to figure out if CO really wants you to be extradited back (and what a nightmare that is). They probably will want you sent back because it sounds like a felony. Another alternative is to get a lawyer in CA to call the CO authorities to see if they really do want you back or will just drop the whole thing. You might get lucky.
Your question is difficult to answer and depends on many different factors. If the warrant is extraditable, the authorities in Colorado Springs, may or may not come to California to retrieve you. This could take from several weeks to several months before a decision is made. I cannot answer as to whether or not the matter will be dropped if they do not come to get you. It would depend on the Colorado law and the decision of the prosecuting attorney. Another alternative is to hire an attorney in Colorado Springs, who may be able to clear this up for you.
You should contact an attorney in colorado near the area where the incident occurred to discuss this in more detail, and dealing with the warrant. You should not post specifics about your case on a public website such as this as it could cause problems down the road.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
If you turn yourself in, the state of Colorado will have 30 days after the states arrange for extradition. The arrangements take some time so I would say you could be in custody for about 45 or so days. I would expect you could get a public defender in CO. You would have to deal with a divorce lawyer in CO.
To properly handle the warrant, you WILL have to appear in CO court to do so. Either hire an attorney in CO [no one else here can help you], or go to the CO court pro per, or request a public defender when you appear there. Those are your only options, other than turning yourself in here for the purpose of extradition and transport in custody to the CO court. Yes, if CO chooses to not extradite you, you would be released here, but the warrant would NOT be withdrawn, and you face arrest again and again any time you come in contact with law enforcement anywhere in the US. All your issues and facts would be handled by CO courts, not CA.