What can I do about my rights to a child if I am not the biological father? 1 Answers as of April 13, 2011

If the biological dad is established in paternity, what rights do I have if I have raised this child as my own? I have been in childs life for the entire length of her life, and he has not until recently.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Glenn E. Tanner
Glenn E. Tanner | Glenn E. Tanner
You can bring a non-parental custody petition if the child is not living with either parent or if you can establish both parents are unfit. An agreed order giving you temporary custody is a possibility. Often, at least one parent is living with the child or is fit. In those circumstances, consider using collaborative practice, if you can get both parents to agree to this method, as it is most likely to result in some form of an agreement that is closer to being in the child's best interest even if the parents you could not succeed in a non-parental custody case. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 4/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: