What can I do about my personal injury claim if my attorney gave up on my case? 21 Answers as of March 06, 2014

I was hurt at a place I had been renting for 10 years. I fell on some steps that broke. I had a compression break in my lower back had part of 3-4 dish removed. I think I also had 3 disks in my neck fused, hurt arms legs, knees, knocked out my front tooth and hurt my head! I filed a suit in 2012. My ex lawyer took a job as the chief magistrate job in this city and did not tell me until I found out. I tried and tried to get him to call me, and he did just like he has done the whole time, never return calls, send me paper I needed to see or sign off on and told me that he was buddies with their lawyer. I got a letter from him saying he was giving up my case! No referral no help at all but that's been his way the whole time!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ty Wilson Law
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You call another attorney. Just because he became a magistrate judge does not mean you do not have a case. However, he may have dismissed it with the court, you need to contact new counsel immediately. Just as other professionals like doctors and accountants have various opinions you should speak with several personal injury attorneys quickly as you have have the statute of limitations running on you shortly. Do it today.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 3/6/2014
Bretz & Young
Bretz & Young | Matthew L. Bretz
You definitely need to get a lawyer, and need to do so right away. Often a case gets dismissed when a lawyer withdraws, and there is a short deadline for getting it refiled. This creates some statute of limitations issues.
Answer Applies to: Kansas
Replied: 3/6/2014
Gregory M Janks, PC
Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
Your lawyer can not merely drop your case IF it has been filed/put in suit. Your attorney needs to get the Court to allow the withdrawal of counsel. Such should only occur with Notice to you so that you can be heard by the Court and have time to obtain new counsel. If your counsel has taken a new job that prevents him from continuing on your case, it is likely the court would allow the withdrawal but either require another lawyer at your former lawyer's office to continue as your attorney or allow you time to find new counsel. You may also file a Grievance with the Michigan State Bar Association if your attorney does not return your calls, keep you advised of progress on your case, not prejudice your rights, etc.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/6/2014
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
Seek a new attorney.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 3/6/2014
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
Just hire new counsel.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/6/2014
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    Call the bar association in the State where you and the attorney are located and report his actions, and then see another attorney.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    It?s obvious that he cannot handle your case given his employment. There are plenty of lawyers; go find one. If you have no other referrals, go to your LOCAL bar assn. and ask for a referral.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
    Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
    You can shop the case to other attorneys yourself, but it does not sound like an easy case. did you know the steps were faulty? Did you notify the landlord and ask for repairs?
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You should immediately hire another lawyer. You can file a grievance with the bar association if you feel the lawyer has acted improperly.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    Call the state bar and get a referral and file a complaint against your old attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
    If you filed a lawsuit I am wondering why the case may still be pending since cases generally get to trial by this time. If you are in California, you need to have someone look into the case and see where you are in the case. Of course in injury cases we will give free evaluation, if you wish to call us. Good Luck,
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    If you are unhappy with the lawyer, or if you feel he is not working on your case you are free to contact another attorney to represent you. Al you have to do is contact an attorney that you wish to take over the case and that lawyer will make arrangements for the file to be transfered.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Fluhr & Moore, LLC | Steven S. Fluhr
    You must find a new lawyer to look at your case immediatley.? You should talk to several if you do not have a friend who can refer you to a lawyer who has satisfied his client.? You may want to try the Bar association or local bar association for names of lawyers who handle personal injury matters.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
    You simply need to obtain another lawyer. It shouldn't be too difficult as it sounds like you may have a good case.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Answer: you just need to call local lawyers till you find one who can help you. If you are in Iowa call our office and I will try and place your case.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Is your matter currently in suit? You need another lawyer to review the whole situation, asap. There may be deadlines approaching, etc. Do not delay contacting a lawyer, or you may become precluded from pursuit, altogether.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    If you are in NC a magistrate cant practice law. quit feellng sorry for yourself, find yourself a good PI lawyer. unless you can prove negligence and prove you were not negligent and also prove the problem was not open and obvious you may have a good case. get a good PI lawyer and review it with him. there is likely more to this than you say, otherwise your lawyer would have been more interested.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Did the lawyer file a case for you? If not, what is the statute of limitations for your case.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    Well, you filed a suit. Unless the case was dismissed, another lawyer can pick up and run with it. Go for it, you've got nothing to lose.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    If you don't know of someone to recommend you to a lawyer, call the Bar and see if they have a referral service. Tell them what happened. They should be able to help you.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 3/6/2014
    Di Giacomo & Gruss | Christopher Di Giacomo
    If you filed suit you?still could be okay. Furthermore if?no suit has been filed then you?have 3 years from the date of loss to file suit?or?your case gets denied because of the statute of limitations problem. I would go ahead and have your case reviewed by another lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 3/6/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 4 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney