What can I do about my immigration case? 6 Answers as of July 15, 2011

My Boyfriend and I plan to get married so he can go to the military. How long would it take? He has a visa that expired 9 years ago, and it was for "Tourism, vacation, pleasure visitors". He hasn't committed a crime or ever deported. Around how much would be the cost?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you are a US Citizen, then all he will have to do is adjust his status right here in the US. In terms of how long and how much, I have to say that different attorneys charge different rates for their services.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You boyfriend should be able to apply for a green card (adjustment of status) after you got married. You need to file a visa petition for him. He can file his adjustment application at the same time.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/15/2011
Law Office of Baoqin Wang
Law Office of Baoqin Wang | Baoqin Wang
If you are a US citizen, and your boyfriend entered US with B visa, then you can sponsor his permanent residency. General process takes about 5 months. Government filing fees is about $1,500. I would like to check his passport and I-94 card to figure out the exact procedures. Please seek formal attorney's advice before you take any actions.
Answer Applies to: Oregon
Replied: 7/15/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
If he entered lawfully with his own visa, then after you get married, he can apply for permanent residence (green card). The overstay and any unauthorized employment will be forgiven under INA section 245(a) as he will qualify as an "immediate relative". You can check the filing fees on the USCIS website and attorney fees vary. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 7/15/2011
Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A.
Law Offices of Iman Abouelazm, P.A. | Iman I. Abouelazm
The process of a US citizen petitioning for an immediate family member usually takes anywhere from 3 months to 1 year, generally, depending on USCIS's processing time. As for the costs, every case and situation is different. An attorney should give you a quote on attorney's fees and USCIS filing fees at the consultation. There are several forms that must completed and filed with USCIS for this process.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: