What can I do about my DUI and hit and run charges? 4 Answers as of December 02, 2013

I was pulled over in San Francisco as the police officer was investigating a hit and run. The conversation immediately switched to suspicion of DUI and I was asked to perform sobriety tests for the next thirty minutes. Several tests one after the other while we waited for CHP to arrive to give the PAS test. The CHP told me that I could refuse the test but I agreed to take it. I took the test two times and then I was placed into custody. The officer told me that the results front he test could not be used in court and she was going to take me to the police station to perform a breathalyzer at the station. If I was below the limit then they would let me go. Once at the station the officers claim that the breathalyzer didn't work and they must take my blood. I agree as long as I can talk to a psychiatrist before the test. I asked this because the police officer did nothing but yell at me for the last hour and I was feeling suicidal. The officer agreed. Once at the jail to perform the blood test, the officer and jail refused to allow me to speak to a psychiatrist. I refused to a blood test. I did however agree to a breathalyzer. The breathalyzer was never given because the officer said it was broken. I was charged with DUI M 23152A HIT AND RUN 20002A RESISTING ARREST 148A1 UNLICENSED DRIVER 12500A1 EXPIRED REGISTRATION 4000A1 and PROOF OF INSURANCE 16028A. The officer added resisting arrest, unlicensed driver, expired registration, and proof of insurance after I refused a blood test and the stations breathalyzer was broken. ALL of which is a lie and can easily be proven so. I feel this is malicious prosecution and I have already filed a complaint with the city for the police officer violating California Penal Code 118.1.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You need a lawyer to represent you in court. These charges could result in a significant amount of time in jail.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2013
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider
Law Office of Peter F. Goldscheider | Peter Goldscheider
You need to retain an experienced criminal law specialist to represent you. In addition to everything else you are facing you are looking at a mandatory 1 year license suspension unless you can show the DMV that you were mislead as to having to take the test without being able to consult your psychiatrist.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/26/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
You need to hire a DUI specialist, and do it soon because you have only 10 days to save your license.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/22/2013
Hudson Bair | Hudson Bair
Hire an attorney. If you were out in the field waiting for an officer to conduct a DUI investigation you have a prolonged detention issue, after you were arrested for DUI, if the breath test was chosen and not available you would have to provide a sample of your blood. A DUI lawyer will investigate whether the breath machine was working, or not. You were not entitled to see a psychiatrist or psychologist prior to providing a sample of your blood or breath. Many of the other charges seem specious, a lawyer can likely help you avoid some, if not all, of the consequences you are facing.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/22/2013
Click to View More Answers: