What can I do about a divorce attorney slandering my name? 1 Answers as of July 16, 2011

My boyfriend has been going through a long drawn out divorce. His ex wife's attorney has never met me nor does she have any factual information about me. Over a year and a half she has slandered my name in e mails, public conversation, court documents and phone calls. What can I do

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation
Wallin & Klarich: A Law Corporation | Paul Wallin
The problem is that most things stated in "court documents" are "privileged". This means it would be hard to bring a successful lawsuit based upon statements made in legal pleadings. However, statements made "outside of the court setting" such as phone calls to others may amount to defamation and you should consult with a lawyer who sues people for a living for more advise in this regard.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/16/2011
Click to View More Answers: