What can I do about the disability case with a pending court date? 12 Answers as of September 21, 2012

I am homeless and have a disability case pending a court date. I recently had 2 major operations 1 of which was open heart surgery (double bypass).

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
Either show up in court, or get an adjournment.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/21/2012
James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
Retain an attorney. If NO MONEY you'll have to represent yourself. See if there are any local organizations that you can talk to about your court date.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 9/18/2012
Obtain representation from an attorney who can represent you in the hearing. You will not have to pay cash up front, so hire the attorney. Keep in constant contact with your attorney through weekly phone calls so that your attorney can properly work on the case. If the hearing is soon, your attorney might need to ask for a continuance to prepare the case. Therefore, be prepared for some delay to have your case handled properly. "
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/18/2012
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
If you have an attorney, he or she should request a continuance given your recent surgery. If you are in pro per, you can make the request yourself, but there are a bunch of technicalities on applying for a continuance. If you case is good enough, you should be able to find an attorney that will take your case on contingency.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 9/18/2012
Law Office of A. R. Appel
Law Office of A. R. Appel | ANTOINETTE R. APPEL, Ph.D.
Courts believe your health is more important than a court date. If your doctor writes an affidavit stating that you had recent open heart surgery, that your participation in your case is contraindicated at this time, and that your health would be threatened if you were forced to come to trial now, then your attorney can file a well founded motion for continuance.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 9/18/2012
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C.
    R. D. Kelly Law Firm, P.L.L.C. | Robert Kelly
    It is very important to appear at your scheduled court dates. If you can't make it, you should ask the court for a continuance. A good law firm that practices in your area and may be able to help you is the Walthew firm.
    Answer Applies to: Washington
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    I'm assuming your "disability case " refers to a hearing before an Administrative Law Judge in a Social Security Disability claim . If so contact a lawyer with regard to representation at that hearing to maximize the chances of a favorable result .
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator
    Bernard Huff, Attorney/Mediator | Bernard Huff
    Contact either the Legal Aid Society or the Legal Services Organizxation for possible legal assistance.
    Answer Applies to: Indiana
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    You can submit your new medical records to ODAR where you sent your request for a hearing before an administrative law judge and ask for an expedited/emergency staff attorney review.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    Lapin Law Offices
    Lapin Law Offices | Jeffrey Lapin
    I assume you are referring to a Social Security disability case. It is difficult to understand exactly what you are asking. If you asking about what you do because you cannot attend the hearing because of the recent operations, you should immediately notify the hearing office and tell them about your recent operations and ask that your hearing be moved to a later date when you can attend. If you are asking about something else I would suggest re-asking your question with additional information. You may want to consult with a Social Security disability attorney about representing you if you have questions about the hearing or want an attorney to assist you. DISCLAIMER: This response should be considered general in nature, for information purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing legal questions and issues. It is based on the limited information provided and, in some instances, makes certain assumptions. It is intended only for cases involving Nebraska and Nebraska law and is not applicable to any other state or jurisdiction. The author does not warrant the accuracy or validity of the information contained within this response, and hereby disclaims any liability to any person for any loss or damage caused by errors or omissions. In addition, this response is not a substitute for professional legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor should it be considered a solicitation for additional legal advice or legal representation. If you ignore this warning and convey confidential information in a private message or comment, there is no duty to keep that information confidential or forego representation adverse to your interests. You should seek the advice of a licensed attorney in the appropriate jurisdiction to fully discuss your case. You should be aware that there are Statute of Limitations (the deadline imposed by law within which you may bring a lawsuit) as well as other requirements and/or limitations that limit the time you have to file any potential claims you may have. This response may be considered advertising in some jurisdictions under any and all applicable laws and ethical rules. The listing of any area of practice that the author practices in does not indicate any certification or expertise therein, nor does it represent that the quality of legal services to be performed would be greater than the quality of legal services performed by other lawyers. It is merely an indication by the author of areas of law in which he practices. The determination of the need for legal services and the choice of a lawyer are extremely important decisions and should not be based solely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise. Readers are urged to make their own independent investigation and evaluation of any lawyer being considered.
    Answer Applies to: Nebraska
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    First, it needs to be determined whether the court hearing you refer to in your email is one with an Administrative Law Judge Disability Cases could have several levels of hearings Next, you need to obtain, prepare and submit medical evidence to the Social Sec Admin (SSA) prior to the hearing. Most attorney's take these type of cases on a contingency basis - meaning no out of pocket fees or costs to you unless you win your case. Our office handles Disability Cases. Feel free to contact us to discuss the matter further.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 9/18/2012
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
    Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
    If you don't already have a lawyer, get one. If you are going to try to do it by yourself, make sure you have ALL of your medical records with you when you have your hearing, and if you can get your doctor to write a one-paragraph letter attesting to your disability, that will help an awful lot.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 9/18/2012
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney