What can I do about an international personal injury? 12 Answers as of April 20, 2011

I was in Dubai and I stayed at the Crown Plaza. I was hurt when a man carrying an oversized case was allowed to go up the moving steps when the handle broke and the case came down and hit my left side. I was taken to the ER and treated but my body is still sore and I need help to do my job.

Patrick M Lamar Attorney
Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
There are various treaties with countries for certain types of injuries such as product matters. However, I believe you would need a lawyer in that country to deal with personal injury. It will be governed by the law of the country where you were injured.
Wilson & Hajek, LLC
Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
You should contact an attorney who specializes in these cases which are generally brought in Federal Court. If you are a U.S. citizen you can proceed against Crown Plaza in the U.S. Federal courts even though the accident was in Dubai. Once you have a judgment you can collect from Crown Plaza assets in the U.S.
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
You would need to hire a personal injury attorney in Dubai.
Allegretti & Associates
Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
From the facts you give, the person with the oversize case is at fault. Any suit would be against him. The case would be filed in Dubai or where he resides. The injuries you describe do not warrant an out of country action.
Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A.
Ramunno & Ramunno, P.A. | Lawrence A. Ramunno
You claim appears to be against the man (or if a defective suitcase, the manufacturer), unlessyou can show Crown Plazadid something wrong. If you want to bring a claim against Crown Plaza, you would do so in Dubai. But the hotel is probably incorporated in the USA, so you could sue in that State, or perhaps, in a State where it does business. If you can find out who the man is and where he lives, you can bring a claim against himin the State where he lives. Otherwise, you may have a difficult time suing in Dubai. Hopefully, the injuries are notmajor.
Answer Applies to: Delaware
    David Hoines Law
    David Hoines Law | David Hoines
    You need to consult a lawyer in Dubai.
    Look online and find a personal injury attorney in that country.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    You have a complicated injury situation. I think a consultation with an experience injury attorney would help. To give you advice at his point would require a lot more facts from you and some analysis of potential defendants.. It is also crucial to look at the damages to see if the costs that are going to expended are justified. in other words, you don't want to spend 10,000 to recover 5,000.
    Hire a lawyer in Dubai. American lawyers probably have a limited knowledge of their laws
    Since you were injured there you should contact an attorney there. Good luck.