What can happen to me if I have two DWSL charges and what can I do to minimize the penalty? 12 Answers as of March 06, 2013

I got caught driving with a suspended license this Monday. But, I got caught again this Friday. What will happen to me and what should I do in order to minimize the punishment?

Make sure you retain the services of a lawyer experienced with handling these cases to look for any deficiencies in the police report or the stop that could reduce or dismiss the charges. If you're caught twice like that in that short of a period of time, it's hard to ask the court to take it easy on you.
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
A lot depends on why your license was suspended. (DUIs, too many points, etc.) If you are eligible to obtain your license, your best chance is to get your license before your court date. This will minimize any sentence. Your other option is to hire a good attorney.
William A. Siebert
William A. Siebert | William A. Siebert
First, sell your car. That will insure that you don't get a third DWLS. Second, have as much of the fine ($1000 is recommended) as possible when you go to court.
Law Offices of Laurie A. Schmidt, P.C. | Laurie Schmidt
First, I would quit driving until the privileges have been reinstated by the DMV, the penalties for this offense increases as the number of incidents that you have. What penalties you may face would be determined on the reason the license is suspended. Second, I would consult a criminal defense attorney in your area to review any potential mitigating factors that could be used to reduce a potential sentence. The same attorney should be able to help you determine if and how you could get your license reinstated.
    Retain an attorney.
    Jeff Holmes - Attorney at Law | Jeff Holmes
    You should stop driving with a suspended license, and work to get your license back. Those two things will put you on the best path to getting a reduced sentence. Consult with an experienced attorney to assist you further through the process.
    You need to hire a lawyer, otherwise you may face mandatory jail time depending on what caused your license to be suspended in the first place. A lawyer can negotiate a reduction, so the statutory minimum would not apply.
    I would need further information to answer such as the exact section of the law of the charges. You should hire an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter
    Law Office of Jared C. Winter | Jared C. Winter
    You should get an attorney. If you have no priors, a good attorney might be able to keep you out of jail. If you have priors, there are statutory minimum amounts of jail time required.
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum
    Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
    Keep the cases separate and get a valid license. Continue the cases until you get your license back.
    Law Office of Richard Southard
    Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
    New York prosecutors take these cases very seriously and you've hurt your attorneys chances of getting leniency for you based in your second arrest for the same charges. Also, at least in the second case, you can no longer use the defense that you didn't know your license was suspended. A conviction could lead to a permanent criminal record that cannot be erased or expunged. You need to hire an experienced criminal attorney and do whatever you can to clear up the suspensions, paying tickets off, etc.