What can happen in court for a first offense DV and MIP charge? 7 Answers as of April 23, 2013

My boyfriend and I got into a verbal fight and my neighbor called the police. My boyfriend was arrested for slapping me across the face and also a minor in possession? What should we expect to happen when we go to court?

Without an attorney?
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
Sentencing depends on whether he is found guilty, his prior record, how serious these are in the court's eyes, mitigation, and allocution.
MIP is punishable by a maximum of 90 days in jail and a $1000.00 fine. DV Assault is punishable by up to a year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. The judge can also make your BF enter into a domestic violence batterers program (generally 2 years), also place a no contact order, preventing him from having any contact with you.
If convicted, he will lose his gun rights for life, and be forced to attend a long and expensive 52-week class, not to mention have a criminal record. He needs to hire a lawyer. If you think you can get him off by telling the DA you want the charges dropped, then you are in fantasy land my friend.
Hopefully a deal can be worked out that he takes anger management classes and they drop the DV charge. Maybe dismiss the other charge.
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Well, a lot depends on who is representing you.
    Steven Dodge | Steven Dodge
    Without knowing who your judge will be it is very difficult to say. Each judge has unique sentencing tendencies. Some judges will jail an individual for a first offense DV. Most, however, will not. In many instances, the MIP will carry a sentence of fines and an alcohol education class. Where is this case being charged?