What can happen if you overstay your visa interval rules? 6 Answers as of July 15, 2011

My friend has a 10 year visa, however, he can only stay 6 months intervals at a time in the US. at a time. What happens if he overstays the 6 months? His visa expires in 2012. Does this void the entire visa? or will my friend pay a fine?

First of all he will be out-of-status in the US and subject to the 3 to 10 year bar. The DOS will revoke/cancel the visa when they find this out. I don't know anything about a fine for overstaying a visa. Good luck to your friend.
The controlling document is the I-94 card, as this gives him the authorized stay in the U.S. The visa is only the entry document. If he only has 6 months on the visa he must extend (he can do this while inside the U.S.). If he is in the U.S. unlawfully then after 180 days and he departs the U.S. he will trigger a three year bar when trying to re-enter.
If he overstayed the visa, He is subject to 3-10 years immigration bar. The punishment is not as simple as paying a fine, unfortunately.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
Your friend's visa will be automatically void if he overstays his admission and he may have a hard time getting a new visa depending on the circumstances for staying longer. If he overstays the period of his admission for more than 180 days AND subsequently leaves the U.S., he cannot receive a visa for 3 years. If he stays for more than a year, he will be barred for 10 years. He should make sure to file an application to extend his admission before it expires if wishes to stay longer.
Baughman & Wang
Baughman & Wang | Justin X. Wang
Once he overstays his authorized stay in the US as stated on his I-94 card, his 10 ten visa becomes void. If he enters the US under that visa and if CBP discovers his overstay, he could be put in expedited removal and he will be barred from coming back for 5 years.