What can happen if someone gets caught on an expired green card? 3 Answers as of June 23, 2011

My son in law's green card expired 10 years ago after his family moved here from Korea. He never renewed it. My question is can he be deported if anyone finds out? What if he gets pulled over for something, will they find out then? Can someone report him to INS and cause trouble? His parents brought the whole family here when he was a young boy and now he is 23. He just recently found out that his card had expired 10 years ago. Thanks so much for your help.

Yes he technically can be deported from the US. If he has a basis for renewing it, then he should go ahead and do it yesterday. Now, if your daughter is a USC (you can never assume), then he should file for adjustment of status and 2 things will happen: 1) he will be denied and be told that he cannot get the LPR status since he IS a LPR already, in which case he should file for citizenship right away; or 2) he will get LPR status yet again. Have him hire an attorney to do this for him. Good luck!
The card itself is not giving him legal status. So if expired it does not mean his status as a legal permanent resident has expired (unless he has committed a crime). He should renew his green card or file for his naturalization.
You need to locate a lawyer now because he will be deported once he is caught.