What can happen if I was cited for driving n a suspended license? 8 Answers as of June 14, 2011

I have been on informal probation for driving on a suspended license. I recently had no way to work and chanced driving. I got pulled over and cited for driving on a suspended license. I go to court next week and have gotten my license back. What can I expect in court? I am 6 months pregnant and have 3 kids at home and am scared I could go to jail.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
You will go through the regular criminal process. For more information, please see my website or call me for a legal consultation.
What CAN happen? Jail, fines, loss of license, etc. It is a misdemeanor punishable with up to 6 months in jail. What WILL happen? No attorney can predict the outcome, nor even give an intelligent opinion, without reviewing and knowing all the charges, evidence, reports, testimony, priors history, etc. If it is really just a minor violation, and you already got back your license, your attorney may be able to get you off with a fine. No guarantees though. If serious about hiring counsel to help you in this, and if this is in SoCal courts, feel free to contact me. Ill be happy to help use whatever defenses there may be.
Being on probation for an offense and then violating it by committing the same offense again is never a good thing. Your probation could be revoked and you could be given a jail sentence. On the other hand if you have your license back now and there were extenuating circumstances in the new offense perhaps the judge will be lenient. You might benefit from an attorney negotiating the case for you however.
Having gotten your license back will be a big factor in your favor. Ask the court for an attorney.
California Criminal Defense Center
California Criminal Defense Center | Ardalon Fakhimi
You can face jail time and a large fine for driving on a suspended license. There are different types of suspensions that carry different punishments. If your suspension was a result of a DUI, there is a mandatory minimum of 10 days in jail. It would be best for you to be represented by a criminal defense lawyer who has handled these cases and is familiar with this area of law. Please contact us if you would like a free consultation.
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts
    Law Office of Andrew Roberts | Andrew Stephen Roberts
    The question is why was your license suspended in the first place? It sounds like you corrected the problem as you were able to get your license back. You might consider hiring an attorney to deal with this and minimize the penalties.
    An experienced attorney may be able to convince the prosecutor to dismiss the 14601 and instead have you plead to a 12500. A driving on a suspended license, if DUI related, has a minimum of 10 days in county jail.