What can happen if I was caught shoplifting? 2 Answers as of June 28, 2011

Today I was at Walmart with my boyfriend and we were caught stealing. The guys took us into a room and got all of our information from us (license and social). Later, a police officer joined. We both were given a court date a month away. We only stole about ten or fifteen dollars each, and we have perfect records, not even a speeding ticket. What do you think will happen? And what actions do we need to take? Also, we are both 18. What about our records? And we would like for our parents to not know, is that possible? Thank you.

Allan & Summary
Allan & Summary | Justin Summary
Definitely hire an attorney, it should not be terribly expensive to do so. You do not want a conviction for shoplifting on your record as it can potentially follow you around for the rest of your life.
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law
Michael R. Nack, Attorney at Law | Michael R. Nack
If you are in Missouri, I would advise both of you to hire an attorney to represent you on this charge. Your attorney may either defend the case, or negotiate a plea bargain that will enable you to avoid a conviction being entered on your record. You may have to attend a class or perform community service in addition to making restitution as conditions of being granted probation. But whatever you have to do to avoid the conviction you should do. I have handled hundreds of cases such as yours in the thirty-three years I have been practicing law. Please feel free to contact me.