What can happen for a false statement? 3 Answers as of April 18, 2012

I filed a false report against my boyfriend saying he attacked me. I was actually the one who attacked him but I know the local police department and I knew they would believe me. Since then, I have tried to revoke my statement by sending a notarized letter to the prosecuting DA. They won't do anything. Now I'm going to testifying saying that I lied. I have no background, not even a speeding ticket. What do you think will happen?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
In New York, making a false report is a criminal offense under NY PL 240.50, 240.55, and 240.60. It can be charged as a misdemeanor or a felony and is punishable by up to one year in jail and as much as up to seven years in state prison. Regardless of the degree, these crimes are often accompanied by a charge of Reckless Endangerment. Falsely Reporting an Incident is taken seriously because the possibility that the police were needed elsewhere is unacceptable. Therefore, you should speak with a criminal lawyer before making any statements.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/18/2012
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
First of all, it is a very serious crime to make a false police report. Second, since you are either lying now and trying to drop the charges or you lied to the police as an immature and vindictive act to use the police to get even with your boyfriend. Third, you were not wise to write a letter telling a DA that you committed perjury and made a false report. Either way you should have retained an attorney to talk to the prosecutor and your boyfriend's lawyer to try and get the idea across that maybe he was innocent without subjecting yourself to criminal charges. Prosecutors are tired of women who have men arrested and then want to change their story and "drop the charges". Judges hate people who falsely accuse others and are likely to jail them if they have a record and possibly just give them probation if they have a clean record and no one was hurt by their lies. If the person went to jail because of a false complaint you deserve a year in jail in most judges opinions, but women seem to be given a break because judges and prosecutors don't usually send women to jail without a long record. You have made a very serious mistake no matter what the truth is, but you need to hire a good lawyer and finally tell the whole truth instead of being a manipulative liar.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/17/2012
Law Office of Richard Southard
Law Office of Richard Southard | Richard C Southard
You face at least an A misdemeanor punishable up to one year in jail and $1000 fine. If you testified under oath in the grand jury for example, you may also be charged with felony perjury charges.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 4/16/2012
Click to View More Answers: