What can happen after my dog attacked a kid on my lawn and what can I do to make this right? 2 Answers as of May 12, 2015

My dog is an 82 pound hound mix. The kid next door came and rung my doorbell and was on the porch. Then the door was opened, he ran out and attacked the child on my lawn. He hurt is arm pretty bad and some other scratches on him. He had to get stiches on the arm (it was deep). What do I need to do? I contacted my homeowner insurance and they may not cover this. I am not sure. I am still waiting for answers. My neighbor says that he doesn’t want to sue me but like the both of us I want his medical to be taken care of. The dog has been turned over to the county for 10 day quarantine. He will not be returning to my house. I can’t take the risk as I have my own kids. If they contact a lawyer, what do I do? The police report says it was an accident.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A.
Law Offices of John W. Merting, P.A. | John W. Merting
Your homeowner's insurance policy should have "med pay " coverage which should pay up to a set amount for medical bills incurred as a result of an incident on your property. The limits are usually 5,000-10,000 dollars-your agent can tell you or the declaration page of your policy. That coverage should be paid without delay for med bills only. Your policy should also have liability coverage which will pay for defense and pay any claim determined to be within its coverage- a dog bite should be covered under most policies unless specifically excluded.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/12/2015
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
First, I would consult a lawyer regarding your homeowner's response that the insurance doesn't cover it. Unless there is a disclaimer in the policy, I would think your homeowner's insurance should cover it. You may want to approach them before they get a lawyer and offer to pay the medical bills......once a lawyer gets involved, he or she is going to add tens of thousands of dollars in "pain and suffering" to the tab.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/12/2015
Click to View More Answers: