What can be my best option to recover the unpaid balance? 6 Answers as of September 27, 2013

I sold my Quad for $3,000 dollars to my cousin. He paid $1,500 upfront with the promise to pay the rest in monthly installments. No contract was done up, fast forward 1.5 years later, still haven't received the rest of the money. Spoke with him numerous times and he gives a song and dance and a future promise to square up on the debt to no avail. I'm becoming frustrated.

You will need to sue him or attempt to repossess the vehicle. Be very careful in attempting to repossess the vehicle. It does not sound like you have a security interest which would allow you to repossess.
Olivier Law, LLC
Olivier Law, LLC | Jason Olivier
Your best option is small claims court, or the local justice of the peace. They usually have at least a $5000 jurisdictional limit, and your claim is way less. Good luck!
J. Norman Stark, Attorney & Reg. Architect | J. NORMAN STARK, ATTORNEY
You may wish to sue him in Small Claims Court in the city in which you reside or where the transaction took place. Oral transactions are actionable and collectible.
Sue him in small claims court.
Law Office of Barry R. Levine | Barry R. Levine, Esq.
Sue him/her in small claims court for the balance due you.
    Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
    You can file a small claims action. Note that a contract which by its terms is not payable within a year may not be enforceable over the defendant's objection, absent a writing signed by the defendant. It is not possible to tell whether your agreement falls into that category.