What can be done to this person who is committing bankruptcy fraud? 16 Answers as of December 02, 2014

Someone I know is putting assets in his kid's name, opening a company, using the assets in the bankruptcy to operate, not telling the courts, sold his house, that was listed in the bankruptcy to himself in order to pull it out of chapter 7. The trustee doesn't know about his wrong doings.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
You can inform either the trustee in his bankruptcy case or the US Trustee's office in your district. It would be best if you have evidence of your allegations.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 12/2/2014
Stephens Gourley & Bywater | David A. Stephens
If you have evidence of this you can report it to the trustee, who will investigate it a may turn it over to the FBI.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/2/2014
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
You are welcome to contact the office of the United States Trustee with your information. The Office of the US Trustee is a division of the US Justice Department (as is the FBI) and they investigate bankruptcy crimes. Oh and it is possible to remain anonymous.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 12/2/2014
Marc S. Stern
Marc S. Stern | Marc S. Stern
Report it to the trustee. If you are a creditor, you can file a law suit.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 12/2/2014
D.J. Rausa, Attorney at Law | D.J. Rausa
Communicate with the trustee and the U.S. Trustee's office.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 12/2/2014
    Garner Law Office
    Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
    The office of the U.S. Trustee program has a website which will direct you to the appropriate local office to which you should report what you know. The UST is under the supervision of the U.S. Department of Justice, in other words, the U.S. Attorney General, and they are charged with investigating and prosecuting cases of fraud.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
    Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
    Inform the United States trustee and the bankruptcy trustee.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    GARCIA & GONZALES, P.C. | Richard N. Gonzales
    Contact the U.S. Trustee's Office for the State where the BK was filed. Send a copy of your detailed letter to the assigned Interim Chapter 7 Trustee. Follow up with a phone call, and make yourself available to come into their office to discuss same. Our Bankruptcy system only works if everyone is truthful and above board. Good luck!
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
    Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
    Promptly notify the trustee. Trust me, they will be interested in this. You can also notify the Office of the United States Trustee. Look on you local court web site for the address or google their name. They are the "police" of the bankruptcy system.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    John Ceci PLLC
    John Ceci PLLC | John Ceci
    If you're willing to be a witness in a case against the person you think is committing fraud you can contact the trustee's office directly and give them whatever information you have.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    Notify the trustee and/ or the U.S. Attorney. Of course be certain of the facts. Send them documentation or tell them where the documentation may be found. Complete disclosure by debtors is absolutely necessary for bankruptcy to remain available to those who need it The wrongdoer will likely be denied a discharge. He could also face criminal charges for BR fraud.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Davis Law SC | D. Nathan Davis
    You can always contact the case Trustee or the Office of the US Trustee. Both of these persons are interested in trying to ferret out fraud and abuse. What you are describing may be perfectly proper. Do not accuse the debtor(s) of fraud, simply ask questions about what you believe to be happening. Even in bankruptcy, a debtor may be allowed to retain assets and continue to work. A debtor can transfer assets that are exempt to third parties in many situations. It would not be proper to always do this. You should contact one or both of these offices so you can have your concerns answered.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Barnes Law Firm, LLC | Aunna Peoples
    You have the option of reporting this person to the Trustee assigned to the case or to the United States Trustee's office in your region. I would start with the Trustee assigned to the case to make sure the debtor has not had permission to purchase assets from the bankruptcy estate.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Idaho Bankruptcy Law | Paul Ross
    Call the Trustee's office. (S)he would be happy to know and look into the issues.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    Call trustee.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 12/2/2014
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
    The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
    You can call the trustee assigned to his case.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 12/2/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney