What can be done if someone you know is making false reports to the government as harassment? 3 Answers as of January 27, 2011

Like they are making multiple calls to CPS (child protection) and they have admitted to others it is in anger/jealousy. What if the person they are doing it to force so much stress she had a nervous breakdown and had to drop out of her phD program and lost her job and they don't have a lot of money now to hire an attorney to stop this from happening? Obviously, the CPS found nothing and the kids are ok but these multiple calls, they are getting meaner. This is in New York.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
First this response is general information only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. However, he should advise CPS and the police/ district attorney that this person is continually making false reports out of anger/jealousy and provide any proof of that it is false and of the motivation( jealousy/anger of the other person. You may be able to bring criminal charges of filing false complaints and you may also have a civil case for defamation of character.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/27/2011
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
This should be reported to the local district attorney's office,and the police. Collect all of the unfounded allegations, and any court records, or transcripts, or anything else that substantiates your claim, and bring it to the attention of the authorities.The violator may be charged with filing a false police report, perjury, or related charges.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/26/2011
Law Offices of John Carney
Law Offices of John Carney | John Carney
The first thing you can do if you cannot afford an attorney is to contact the agencies that are involved and ask to speak to a supervisor. Advise them that this person is making false accusations against you in order to harass you and report it to the police. This will make a record of the fact for the purpose of putting everyone on notice that these reports are false and perhaps the police may wish to investigate the matter. If not, when you are arrested on false charges or CPS does show up at your door you can advise them that you have already put them on notice that the allegations are false, unlawful, malicious, and a waste of their time. You can sue for slander in small claims court in order to let the person know that their reckless actions have consequences and if they do not appear you may get a default judgment you can sue for $5,000 in small claims court on the basis of emotional distress. If this person calls you, advise them not to call again. If they do you may be able to have them arrested for harassment and have an order of protection issued. Finally I would advise you that if you let others annoy you then they win, if you ignoe hem then you are in control of the situation as well as your emotions.You have not been arrested or had your children taken away, so the only harm you have suffered is stress...and this can be avoided by simply ignoring their actions and taking steps to put the agencies on notice that these allegations are false, vindictive, and without merit.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/26/2011
Click to View More Answers: