What can be done if my son stole an item priced at $30.00 and he is just 17? 7 Answers as of November 17, 2014

He is paying the store $200.00 for the item. This happened in Michigan. Can you tell me what to expect at his court date? Thank you.

He needs to hire a local attorney to try and keep it fights record. He will have a lifetime of grief if he has a theft conviction on his record. Call me if you are in metro Detroit.
Law Office of Darin Kanfer | Darin J. Kanfer
You should contact the prosecutor or your son's attorney to know what to expect. Normally, for a first offense such as this, he would be looking at a fine and/or probation.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
He is paying a penalty fee directly to the store, and not for the item. If the offense is his first, try to get a diversion program. That way he would not be saddled with a conviction later on if sucessfully completes it. He needs a good attorney. Generally, one pleads not guilty, either hires an attorney or ask for court appointed if cannot afford one. Then the plea agreement is negotiated. He needs not involve himself in any further crimes.
They may pursue criminal charges for retail fraud (shoplifting). Realistically he is probably not facing jail, but he doesn't want to have a criminal record at his age either. The good news is that there are options available that can keep this off his record. He needs to invest in a good attorney to help secure this. Look for an attorney in the area that primarily practices criminal defense and is familiar with his court and judge.
You should engage an attorney, confer with them providing the specifics and attempt by all means possible to keep this off his permanent record. It, on the record, can have significant effect on his future opportunities.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C.
    Elhart & Horvath, P.C. | Mattias Johnson
    Your son could be charged with petty larceny (under $200) and potentially retail fraud in the third degree, which are both misdemeanors. What sort of punishment he receives will be influenced greatly by any criminal record that he may have, especially if their are any prior charges relating to larceny. If this is his first offense of any sort, the prosecutor may well offer some sort of plea to a lesser charge. I would not anticipate any sort of jail time and probably only fines if this is his first offense.
    Law Office of Eric S. Lumberg | Eric S. Lumberg
    He should have legal representation to discuss options with you. He should not pay anything until the criminal case is resolved.