What can be done if my 17-year-old stepson was pulled over by state troopers for an expired registration and ended up being arrested? 10 Answers as of March 05, 2014

Because one of his 4 friends riding with him had marijuana. The kid threw it under the seat while the trooper was questioning my kid. The officer noticed that there was activity going on and asked my kid if he could search the pickup. My kid told him yes, because according to my kid, there was nothing to hide. When the trooper discovered the weed, he asked all 5 of them whom it belonged to, and they all denied it was theirs. That's when they all got arrested and taken to jail. After they were all incarcerated, one of the kids admitted it was his. But by then it was too late, the police told them they were all being charged with possession because they were booked. So do I need to get an attorney to fight this charge? If he does get charged, I'm assuming he can kiss his scholarship away. Thank you.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Randy Ligh | Randy Ligh
Yes, you should get an attorney for fight this charge. The prosecuting authority may consider dismissing the charges against your son or others, or some other action short of conviction, depending on the circumstances and the background of the minors. An attorney would know how to best present your son's situation to the prosecutor and as such, you should hire an attorney for him.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 3/5/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Yes get a lawyer to fight the matter. The State has to prove that it was his.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/5/2014
Universal Law Group, Inc. | Francis John Cowhig
If he's being charged, he needs an attorney to defend him.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/4/2014
Barton Barton & Plotkin
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
It would be wise to retail legal counsel. Your son probably has very good defenses and it is possible to get the charges dismissed. If the charges are not dismissed, it could leave your son with a criminal record and have a negative impact on his education and employment for a long time into the future.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/4/2014
Gates' Law, PLLC | Thomas E. Gates
You should retain an attorney. You can only help that the young man comes forward again. By doing so, the charges should be dropped. After this is over, have him expunge his record. That way any background check will not come up with the misdemeanor.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 3/4/2014
    The Rogers Law Firm
    The Rogers Law Firm | Andrea Storey Rogers
    It is very common for police to charge every person in the car with possession because they all had access to it. Yes, you definitely need to hire an attorney if you want to keep this off his permanent criminal record.
    Answer Applies to: Missouri
    Replied: 3/4/2014
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You do need to get an attorney, because your son is facing a marijuana charge.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/4/2014
    Austin Legal Services, PLC
    Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
    You definitely need to hire an experienced criminal defense attorney from your area. Preferably one that has lots of experience in drug crimes. A skilled attorney may be able to completely beat the charge or there may be sentencing options available to your stepson that would limit the damage or maybe even keep it off his public record. .
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 3/4/2014
    The Montes Law Firm
    The Montes Law Firm | Lucio Antonio Montes
    It is not doom and gloom yet for your child. You should hire an experienced criminal defense attorney. From what you write it seems he likely has a good defense to possession. The state must prove care, custody, and control of whatever they are charged of possessing. Take advantage of the fact that most criminal defense attorneys offer free consultations. Interview as many as it takes to find one that you are comfortable with and can afford.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 3/4/2014
    Eve Oldenkamp, Attorney at Law, P.C. | Eve Oldenkamp
    Yes, you need to get an attorney. Also, the police often have video recordings of the stop. I believe his scholarship warrants getting an attorney quickly to resolve the matter.
    Answer Applies to: Oregon
    Replied: 3/4/2014
Click to View More Answers: