What can be done after unknowingly passing counterfeit money? 4 Answers as of August 31, 2011

An officer showed up at my house Sunday afternoon (3-20-11) and told me that I passed a counterfeit 20 bill at a gas station on 2-15.. he asked where i got the bill, and i told him, about three different times, that "I didn't remember, because it had been over a month."

After this, he asked for my phone number, and then left. He never told me his name, or gave me a card.. They knew it was me because I had a problem with the car wash, and had to write my name and address and phone number down for the company that owned the car wash (because it's a different company than the gas station). This is how they knew it was me that passed the counterfeit bill. He told me that I bought a pack of cigarettes with the counterfeit, and i don't even smoke cigarettes.. i was obviously buying them for a friend or relative..

I know it's only illegal to KNOWINGLY pass a counterfeit bill.. Should I be concerned that they are building a case against me anyways?

I'm 23 years old, with a perfectly clean record, not even a traffic ticket on it. and I'm a criminal Justice student, planning on being a police officer when i'm done with school in less than 1 year. If i get charged with something i could kiss my career goodbye and have to change my major..


Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Austin Legal Services, PLC
Austin Legal Services, PLC | Jared Austin
If it's one bill, nothing will probably come from it. If it persists, consider retaining a lawyer but I doubt they will charge you with anything based upon what you stated. Just make sure you are honest and don't change your story.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/31/2011
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC
The Law Office of John T. MacDonald Jr., PLLC | John MacDonald Jr.
Do not talk with anyone unless you first talk with a criminal defense attorney. If you are charged with anything or taken into custody immediately ask to speak with attorney and again say nothing.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/24/2011
Craig W. Elhart, P.C.
Craig W. Elhart, P.C. | Craig Elhart
You may be concerned, but if you did not know then you did nothing wrong.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/24/2011
Klisz Law Office, PLLC
Klisz Law Office, PLLC | Timothy J. Klisz
Dont talk to anyone without your attorney present. They have ways of making people admit to things that help them create their case. You will learn this in the police academy. Click on the link to the left to call me and discuss your matter.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: