What can be done about outragious bill? 2 Answers as of August 22, 2011

My exhusband was injured very badly while trimming trees and had to be airlifted to the hospital. He did not call/was not able to call. He was unemployed, had no insurance and no way of paying bills. The helicopter company charged $17,771.77. They sent a letter stating they expected him to pay over $300 a month after we sent them information that he was unemployed, no insurance ,no money and with injuries to his head would have problems finding employment. We sent information they requested to show the hardship. They sent another letter four months later stating they expected him to pay over $200 a month. They admitted there were three amounts that they charge people-one tier for insurance, one tier for employed and making payments and one tier for those without money, insurance, etc. What can we do legally?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Joseph Lehn, Esq
Joseph Lehn, Esq | Lehn Law, PA
I'm so sorry to hear of this accident. I would recommend that you consider filing a bankruptcy petition. I'm sure that in addition to the helicopter bill there are other medical bills that were incurred.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 8/22/2011
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr.
Law Office of John C. Farrell, Jr. | John C. Farrell, Jr.
Your ex-husband sounds like he is what is called insolvent and unable to pay. Unless he owns property or other assets then there is not much they can do to get their money. I would make sure that he not keep large sums of money in his bank account. Massachusetts law provides a $500 exemption of funds which would apply to the aggregate in either savings or checking or both. With respect to creditors, unfortunately these days they do not have much sympathy or common sense and will likely pursue collection actions or even legal action against your ex-husband. Again the lawsuit will be fruitless if he has nothing to go after. The law protects certain property and or savings or income.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 8/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: