What can be done about an abandoned or junk vehicle on a private property? 1 Answers as of July 31, 2014

I gave permission for them to park on the property then told them they needed to come get the vehicle and they never came and got it and its been over 3 or 4 years. They keep saying they'll come get the vehicle soon. We have told them multiple times can we take possession of the vehicle and register and title it in her own name.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Your options may differ depending on the state and local laws. At some point abandoned property also called unclaimed property can be disposed of. Chapter 556 of the Iowa Code may govern. You may have to report it to the Iowa State Treasurer. Because you have not identified the location of the property (State/City/County) it is not possible to state with any certainty what your rights are but I would suggest you begin with the Iowa Secretary of State's office.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 7/31/2014
Click to View More Answers: