What is the best way to protect myself if I can't Homestead it? 3 Answers as of July 20, 2017

If there is a soon to be judgment against me, they can't attach it to a jointly held property in a revocable trust in another state. Is the same true in another state?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Ronald K. Nims LLC | Ronald K. Nims
Any interest in property that you own may be attached for a judgment. So, it is possible to attach jointly held property in a revocable trust. However, the judgment creditor will have to identify the property and file the property documents to attach your interest. Often, a judgment creditor won't bother unless the interest is quite valuable.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/20/2017
A Fresh Start
A Fresh Start | Dorothy G Bunce
It will depend on whether the trust is considered to be valid in the state where the property is located. Your question makes a contradictory statement that the real estate is held jointly by the trust. Having a trust jointly own real estate with another person suggests that the person who put this trust together was inexperienced and did not know what he or she was doing.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 7/19/2017
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney
Janet A. Lawson Bankruptcy Attorney | Janet Lawson
You need to seek counsel locally.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/19/2017
Click to View More Answers: