What is the best legal way to stay in the country? 3 Answers as of May 05, 2011

I have an American fiancé; we have been together for more than a year now. We were planning on getting married later this year but I was working here on an h2b, been here 2 years. Unfortunately an agency messed up my visa extension. So if we get married now what procedure would be best and how long before I have to leave the country after my visa expires. Thanks

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
If you are going to get married anyway, then you better do it before your visa becomes a real problem to you both. Once you become someones immediate relative, minor indiscretions will be forgiven up to a certain point. If you got married now, then you should begin to adjust your status to that of a permanent resident. Forms I-130;I-485; I-765; I-864; G-325A; I-693; will need to be filed with supporting documentation. If this is important to you, then consult an attorney and they can save you a lot of headaches. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
The answer to your question is fairly complicated and also depends on where you are currently living because each DHS has different approaches to this question. I am sorry but please make an appointment with a competent immigration attorney!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
The best option for you two to get married now, then she files an I-130 petition and you file for adjustment of status at the same time. This would allow you to obtain a conditional residence card and not have to leave the U.S. when your H2B visa expires.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/5/2011
Click to View More Answers: