What is the best course if I missed a court date in 2013? 1 Answers as of September 24, 2014

In early 2013, I received a summons to appear in court on a larceny of $250 charge. I went to court, was appointed a public defender and was released with a new date on personal recognizance. I had another date that I showed up for and then was given another day in April 2013. In late March 2013, I received a phone call from my father that my mother was being air-lifted to a hospital (where she lived) because of brain tumors. After her brain surgery, we were told she had stage 4 brain cancer and we could expect 4 more months with her. Because of my father’s drinking problem, I decided to take some time off and take care of my mother. I stayed with her and missed the court date. My mother somehow lasted until August 21, 2014 when she passed away after 5 weeks in a hospice facility. Now that my mother has been laid to rest and I have gone back to work, I want to get this situation corrected. I do have some concerns. I do not have much of a criminal record. I have one misdemeanor for assault that was dismissed after a year in 2010. I have never been to jail. I live alone with my boys, ages 17 and 13. I am gainfully employed as an accountant and I am their sole provider and caretaker. My concern is that because it has been so long that I will be arrested when I go to court and then I am not sure what will happen to my boys. Another concern is that they will set a bail I cannot pay. Taking a year off from work and burying my mother has taken a financial toll.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
Your best course of action is to hire an attorney and surrender yourself on the warrant. If you do this with a private attorney, the court will understand that you plan on addressing the charges as evidenced by the attorney. If you can't afford to hire a private lawyer, you should still appear but the chances of being held rise somewhat. The worst thing that you can do is to ignore it. If you are picked up by the police on the warrant, then the court will most likely hold you or set a high bail since there will be no evidence that you had any intention of addressing the warrant. All information and analysis provided herein is for Massachusetts law and Massachusetts cases, ONLY. If your matter or question involves the laws of another state please disregard this post and seek advice from an attorney licensed to practice law in the applicable state.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 9/24/2014
Click to View More Answers: